In today’s competitive world, there are too many resumes submitted for most job openings. With increasing number of job seekers competing for the most desirable IT jobs, your resume needs to be better than the rest and be reviewed by the hiring authority. Your IT resume should say more about you than the programming languages you know. You should be able to showcase yourself through your resume to let them know who you are and what you are.
[restabs alignment=”osc-tabs-left” responsive=”false”]
[restab title=”About” active=”active”]
Things to be included in an IT resume
Writing or updating your resume requires significant planning and research. A well-written IT resume will help you to get your resume in the hands of the Hiring manager and move on to an interview. Following are some of the things to add or update in your IT resume:
- Your resume will have to create an impact within the first 15-20 seconds.
- Start your resume with a brief summary of your experience in 3-4 lines to explain your expertise.
- Do not include an objective as it can cause more harm than good.
- Make your resume easy to read by giving bold section headings.
- Focus on most recent projects and limit the amount of information on past positions.
- When listing your employment history, be sure to include the industry, size and whether the companies you worked for were public or private.
- Make sure that your resume does not exceed 2 page. Hiring managers don’t have time to go through three or more pages and thus your resume will be tossed off most of the time.
IT resume format – things to be included
IT resume should be one of the best source for the hiring manager to know about your technical skills. An excellent way to include technical knowledge is to add a Technical summary or Technical expertise section to your resume.
- Break the section into subcategories so that the reader can quickly go through your knowledge of applications and programs. You can add them in bullets so that it becomes easy to read.
- You can include technical certifications, operating systems, hardware, networking/protocols, programming languages, office productivity, web applications and database applications.
- List only those programs or applications that you are confident to discuss in an interview.
Many of us have a misconception that if you are good enough in technical skills, your resume will be easily selected for an interview. Proving this statement wrong, many IT hiring managers say that they are searching for candidates who can offer more than technical skills. This means that the candidate should have interpersonal skills, communication skill, ability to work in flexible situations and times and commitment to achieve corporate goals as required. Highlight these skills in your career summary section.
Focus on technical skills
One of the commonly seen blunder in a technical resume is that the resume will be comparatively long showing all the details of every assignments or too short with hardly any descriptions at all. An effective IT resume should be neutral -neither too long nor too short. The resume should be able to showcase your achievements and skills.
Specify the date
Dates matter in an IT resume. Be clear about your dates of employment. Most companies want to see months, not just years – especially if you have worked in many companies. This is to know that how long have you been out and how long you have been with the company. It’s better to be upfront than to make them guess.
Common mistakes found in an IT resume
- Too much focus on job duties.
- Including an objective statement that is too general.
- Resume will be either too short or too long.
- Misuse of personal pronouns ( “me” and “I”) and articles (“an” and “the”). A resume is a form of business communication and should be concise and written in a telegraphic style. There should not be any mention of “I” or “me” and only minimal use of articles.
Benefits from using a Professional Resume Writer
Having a resume that doesn’t look much professional may affect your career opportunities a lot. Hiring managers look for resumes that are professional and upto the mark. Having a great presentation of your credentials is one of the best effective methods to make sure your candidacy stands out. Here are some of the reasons why using a professional resume writer is worth the investment and will give you that competitive advantage:
IT professional resume should have a polished professional appearance that is free from errors. The professional resume writers create resumes that meet the employer’s needs and expectations.
Professional resume writers will showcase the necessary details of your career in order to craft an outcome-based document that demonstrates your past and future value to a company.
With the help of a professional resume writer, you don’t have to spend your time in polishing your resume, instead you can prepare the best resume in a reasonable time frame.
Resume Writing Services – The Professional Resume writing services
Get your resume in the hands of a hiring manager with the help of a professional resume writer – Resume Writing services. They have a history of producing results. Resume Writing Services are rated as the best resume writers as per the Top Resume Writing survey 2012-2013.
Why choose Resume Writing Services?
- Resume Writing Services have a team of 4-certified professional writers with 2 years of experience.
- They provide personalized service (one-to-one) on phone to discuss your resume.
- Their services are available at affordable rates.
- The company provides 100% interview guarantee that the resume written by them will get you an interview.
How does professional resume writers work?
The whole resume writing process is simple and can be done by the following steps:
- Upload your existing resume. Even a rough draft is fine.
- Make payment through Paypal or credit card.
- One of their resume writers will call you on phone to discuss your resume and other specifications in detail.
- Within 48 hours, you will receive your updated resume. Discuss and get any changes made as per your need.
As there are many professional resume writers available online, you can choose from the resume templates available at
- http://www.resume2hire.com/ or
These websites offer resume writing services that give a professional touch to your resume. Step into the world of success with the help of these professional resume writers.